Grey Tahitian Pearl Earring, 9-10MM, 14K White Gold
Grey Tahitian Pearl Earring, 9-10MM, 14K White Gold
Tahitian pearls are an organic gem formed from the black lip oyster. These exquisite earrings are made with natural color pearls of lustrous grey. Set in 14 karat white gold posts with butterfly backs. A must for any wardrobe.
- 14 karat white gold
- Natural color Tahitian cultured pearls, 9-10 mm
- Push posts with butterfly backs
- Made in USA
Akoya Pearls - When most people think of pearls, they imagine the fairly round, creamy to white pearls typically cultivated in the saltwater lagoons and bays of Japan. These pearls, sometimes called Akoya pearls, were the first to be commercially cultured. In Akoya pearl cultivation, the irritant introduced into the oyster is a round shell bead, accompanied by a piece of oyster tissue, which stimulates nacre production (this is called "nucleation"). Akoya pearls are most commonly available in sizes ranging from 4 to 9 millimeters in diameter, generally spherical or roundish in shape, and are well suited to all kinds of jewelry as well as strung necklaces and bracelets. In the last few years, cultivation of saltwater "Akoya"- type pearls has been accomplished in China as well.
South Sea and Tahitian Pearls - In the last twenty to thirty years, the culturing process has been adapted to the waters of the South Seas. Here, larger and more exotic species of saltwater oysters are now being cultivated to produce fabulous pearls of up to 20 millimeters in diameter. Naturally colored silver, white, golden, cream and grey cultured pearls are harvested from the waters off Australia, Indonesia and the Philippines. The cultivated oysters from the lagoons of Tahiti and French Polynesia produce vivid natural shades of black, grey, copper, silver, pistachio and aubergine. These beauties have become highly prized, but are still far rarer than other types of pearls, and because of their rarity and the expense of harvesting in far-off places, they command higher prices.
Mabé Pearls - A mabé (or mobé) cultured pearl offers the look of a larger pearl at an affordable price. A half-round implant, with flattened back, is affixed to the inner shell of the oyster. Over time, the oyster coats the exposed surface with nacre. When the oyster is opened, the implant is removed, leaving a thin shell of nacre, which is filled with liquid resin and usually backed with a thin slice of mother-of-pearl. The large surface of a mabé-cultured pearl makes it well suited for use in a ring, earring or pendant.
Keshi Pearls - Occasionally, when a mollusk is opened at harvesting, an additional, non-nucleated pearl is found. This accidental "bonus," which is virtually pure nacre, is called a keshi pearl. Often irregular in shape but generally very lustrous and beautiful, the keshi pearl is very rare, and highly valued. The term "keshi" is often misused to describe cultivated pearls of irregular shape, but true keshi is very rare and valuable.
For more information about pearls see our complete Pearl Guide.
Our exacting standards, meticulous attention to detail, and friendly service ensure that you will always be completely satisfied with your fine cultured pearl selection from Fortunoff.
If you have questions, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Care for Cultured Pearl Jewelry
- Freshwater and saltwater (akoya) cultured pearls are often bleached to achieve a more uniform, desirable hue. Many pearls, particularly from freshwaters, are dyed or otherwise treated to create more vivid and interesting hues. These treatments are all permanent.
- Cultured pearls have an organic surface coating (called 'nacre'), which is susceptible to chipping. It requires special care to prevent chipping, cracking or discoloration.
- "Last on, First off." Put your cultured pearls on after applying all cosmetics, hairspray, nail polish or perfume. Similarly, remove them before beginning your nighttime beauty regimen.
- Never wear cultured pearls while bathing, swimming, or working with chemicals. These substances may damage the surface of your cultured pearls, or weaken the silk on which they are strung.
- Use only a clean, soft cloth to wipe your cultured pearls and cultured pearl jewelry after wearing. Store them in a soft pouch, cloth or jewelry box to prevent scratching by other jewelry.
- If your cultured pearl jewelry becomes more heavily soiled, it’s time for a more thorough professional cleaning and restringing. Strung necklaces and bracelets, when worn often, should be restrung at least every few years.
For more information on jewelry care see our complete Jewelry Care Guide.
If you have questions about how to care for your jewelry, email us at: email@example.com.
Enjoy Free Gift Wrapping and Free Ground Shipping Every Day!
It's always been a hallmark of Fortunoff. When other merchants charge $5 per package for gift wrap — we offer it for free!
Your jewelry will always ship in the signature Fortunoff gift box or gift pouch.
If you would like your gift box wrapped or to send a personalized gift message, simply choose "Gift Services" during checkout. You can select to have your box wrapped in our elegant silver paper and enter your gift message, which we will hand-write on our gift card.
Free Ground Delivery
Shop at FortunoffJewelry.com and enjoy free FedEx Home Delivery on every order, every day. Your free shipping discount will be automatically applied during checkout.
General Shipping Information
- Fortunoff will make every attempt to fill your order as quickly as possible. We ship most in-stock orders within 3 business days using Federal Express or US Postal Service Priority Mail. We require a signature upon delivery for orders over $500 and for all orders being delivered to an apartment or suite. Your selection ships in a gift box or pouch. Free gift wrapping and gift card messages are available; just indicate your request at check-out in the appropriate fields.
- Our standard residential shipping method is FedEx Home Delivery. In the Metro NY area these may arrive the next day after they are shipped, but this is not guaranteed.
- Orders that are designated for Overnight or 2-Day service may not ship the same day they were ordered. These still are subject to normal order processing and fulfillment. For rush orders or stock inquires, call our Customer Service Team at 1-800-636-7886 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We cannot ship to international addresses, P.O. Boxes, APO or FPO addresses. Orders to Alaska and Hawaii must be shipped using Overnight or 2-Day methods.
- We do not ship out orders on Saturday or Sunday, or for weekend delivery.
- If your order cannot be shipped within 5 business days after your order is confirmed, Fortunoff will notify you by e-mail or phone. Dates quoted for merchandise that is not immediately available (backorder, special order or merchandise that requires sizing or personalization) are approximate and not guaranteed. We will make every attempt to expedite your order and notify you by e-mail or phone when you order is ready to ship.
- Merchandise will be billed to your credit card when shipped.
- Packages that are returned or shipped with an incorrect address provided by the customer will be subject to additional shipping charges.
Shipping rates are dependent upon the shipping method you choose. We offer the following methods:
|FedEx Home Delivery/Ground||FREE|
|FedEx 2-Day||$12.00 per address|
|FedEx Overnight||$22.00 per address|
Multiple Items Being Shipped
Orders containing multiple items being shipped to the same address may ship separately if some items become backordered. This will not result in additional shipping charges. You will be notified as each item ships. Items being shipped to multiple addresses are subject to separate shipping charges. Items that are expected to arrive within 7 days of each other shipping to the same address will be held and shipped together unless you instruct us otherwise.
From 9:30 AM to 6 PM Eastern Time, Monday through Friday
You may also request a phone appointment.
Our customer service team is here to help you with any question you might have.
Fortunoff Fine Jewelry
For shipments only:
FFJ / Four Leaf Designs
360 Maple Ave, Unit 132
Westbury, NY 11590