Fortunoff Fine Jewelry
Freshwater Cultured Pearl Y Style Necklace, Sterling Silver
Freshwater Cultured Pearl Y Style Necklace, Sterling Silver
New sterling necklace in a "Y" shape. Bold style adds a bit of glamour to your look. The sterling silver chains swing with the white freshwater pearls at end.
- Sterling silver
- 2 Freshwater cultured pearls, 10-10.5 mm
- Bottom dangle length 2 inches
- Chain length 15 inches, plus 2-inch extender
- Lobster clasp closure
- Made in China
Akoya Pearls - When most people think of pearls, they imagine the fairly round, creamy to white pearls typically cultivated in the saltwater lagoons and bays of Japan. These pearls, sometimes called Akoya pearls, were the first to be commercially cultured. In Akoya pearl cultivation, the irritant introduced into the oyster is a round shell bead, accompanied by a piece of oyster tissue, which stimulates nacre production (this is called "nucleation"). Akoya pearls are most commonly available in sizes ranging from 4 to 9 millimeters in diameter, generally spherical or roundish in shape, and are well suited to all kinds of jewelry as well as strung necklaces and bracelets. In the last few years, cultivation of saltwater "Akoya"- type pearls has been accomplished in China as well.
South Sea and Tahitian Pearls - In the last twenty to thirty years, the culturing process has been adapted to the waters of the South Seas. Here, larger and more exotic species of saltwater oysters are now being cultivated to produce fabulous pearls of up to 20 millimeters in diameter. Naturally colored silver, white, golden, cream and grey cultured pearls are harvested from the waters off Australia, Indonesia and the Philippines. The cultivated oysters from the lagoons of Tahiti and French Polynesia produce vivid natural shades of black, grey, copper, silver, pistachio and aubergine. These beauties have become highly prized, but are still far rarer than other types of pearls, and because of their rarity and the expense of harvesting in far-off places, they command higher prices.
Mabé Pearls - A mabé (or mobé) cultured pearl offers the look of a larger pearl at an affordable price. A half-round implant, with flattened back, is affixed to the inner shell of the oyster. Over time, the oyster coats the exposed surface with nacre. When the oyster is opened, the implant is removed, leaving a thin shell of nacre, which is filled with liquid resin and usually backed with a thin slice of mother-of-pearl. The large surface of a mabé-cultured pearl makes it well suited for use in a ring, earring or pendant.
Keshi Pearls - Occasionally, when a mollusk is opened at harvesting, an additional, non-nucleated pearl is found. This accidental "bonus," which is virtually pure nacre, is called a keshi pearl. Often irregular in shape but generally very lustrous and beautiful, the keshi pearl is very rare, and highly valued. The term "keshi" is often misused to describe cultivated pearls of irregular shape, but true keshi is very rare and valuable.
For more information about pearls see our complete Pearl Guide.
Our exacting standards, meticulous attention to detail, and friendly service ensure that you will always be completely satisfied with your fine cultured pearl selection from Fortunoff.
If you have questions, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Care for Cultured Pearl Jewelry
- Freshwater and saltwater (akoya) cultured pearls are often bleached to achieve a more uniform, desirable hue. Many pearls, particularly from freshwaters, are dyed or otherwise treated to create more vivid and interesting hues. These treatments are all permanent.
- Cultured pearls have an organic surface coating (called 'nacre'), which is susceptible to chipping. It requires special care to prevent chipping, cracking or discoloration.
- "Last on, First off." Put your cultured pearls on after applying all cosmetics, hairspray, nail polish or perfume. Similarly, remove them before beginning your nighttime beauty regimen.
- Never wear cultured pearls while bathing, swimming, or working with chemicals. These substances may damage the surface of your cultured pearls, or weaken the silk on which they are strung.
- Use only a clean, soft cloth to wipe your cultured pearls and cultured pearl jewelry after wearing. Store them in a soft pouch, cloth or jewelry box to prevent scratching by other jewelry.
- If your cultured pearl jewelry becomes more heavily soiled, it’s time for a more thorough professional cleaning and restringing. Strung necklaces and bracelets, when worn often, should be restrung at least every few years.
For more information on jewelry care see our complete Jewelry Care Guide.
If you have questions about how to care for your jewelry, email us at: email@example.com.
Enjoy Free Gift Wrapping and Free Ground Shipping Every Day!
It's always been a hallmark of Fortunoff. When other merchants charge $5 per package for gift wrap — we offer it for free!
Your jewelry will always ship in the signature Fortunoff gift box or gift pouch.
If you would like your gift box wrapped or to send a personalized gift message, simply choose "Gift Services" during checkout. You can select to have your box wrapped in our elegant silver paper and enter your gift message, which we will hand-write on our gift card.
Free Ground Delivery
Shop at FortunoffJewelry.com and enjoy free FedEx Home Delivery on every order, every day. Your free shipping discount will be automatically applied during checkout.
General Shipping Information
- We make every attempt to fill your order as quickly as possible. Most in-stock orders are shipped within 2-3 business days.
- Orders that are designated for Overnight or 2-Day service may not ship the same day they were ordered. These still are subject to normal order processing and fulfillment, including security screening that protects you, our customer.
- For rush orders, special situations, or stock inquiries, please call our Customer Service Team at 1-800-636-7886 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We require a signature upon delivery for orders over $500 and for all orders being delivered to an apartment, suite or business.
- Our standard residential shipping methods are USPS Priority Mail and FedEx.
- We do not ship to international addresses, APO or FPO addresses.
- Orders to Alaska and Hawaii must be shipped via Overnight or 2-Day methods.
- Generally, we do not ship orders on Saturday or Sunday, and orders are not delivered on weekends, except by special prior arrangement.
- If your order cannot be shipped within 4 business days after it is confirmed, we will notify you by e-mail and/or phone.
- For merchandise that is not immediately available (backorder, special order or merchandise that requires sizing or personalization) we will contact you regarding ship date. We will make every attempt to expedite your order and notify you by e-mail or phone when your order is ready to ship.
- Merchandise will be billed to your credit card when ready to ship, with the exception of custom orders, which are billed at time of order.
- Packages that are returned or shipped with an incorrect address that has been provided by the customer will be subject to additional shipping charges.
- Your selection ships in a gift box. Free gift wrapping and gift card messages are available; just indicate your request at check-out in the appropriate fields.
Shipping rates are based on the shipping method you choose. We offer the following services (all are based on total purchase, excluding tax, for delivery to a single address):
|Ground (standard) delivery||FREE|
|2-day delivery||$19 per address|
|Overnight delivery||$29 per address|
Multiple Items Being Shipped
- Orders containing multiple items being shipped to the same address may ship separately if some items are backordered and cannot be shipped all together within 7 days. If multiple shipments are necessary, we will not charge you additional fees.
- Items being shipped to multiple addresses are subject to separate shipping charges per each address.
- You will be notified as each item/package ships.
From 9:30 AM to 6 PM Eastern Time, Monday through Friday
You may also request a phone appointment.
Our customer service team is here to help you with any question you might have.
Fortunoff Fine Jewelry
For shipments only:
FFJ / Four Leaf Designs
360 Maple Ave, Unit 132
Westbury, NY 11590